About the team:
Luno’s Financial Crime team is on the mission to ensure that we continue to be the global leader in safely buying, selling, storing, and using crypto. With the help of leading technology, our experienced team ensures we understand who our customers are, effectively manage operational risk, protect our customers against financial crime, and ensure compliance with regulatory requirements. The Financial Crime team reports into Tony Sneedon, VP Operations.
The role in a nutshell:
This is a critical role. We are looking for an experienced, knowledgeable and highly motivated individual who will guide, lead and grow the Global Financial Crime function (comprising the Compliance Operations, Financial Crime Investigations, Financial Crime Analytics and Customer Safety teams). You will lead a team of experienced managers who will support you in your mission. You will also partner closely with our Engineering and Product teams to further build on our internal anti-financial crime capabilities, and work closely with our Countries team to localise the team’s capability. As a member of the Operations Leadership Team, you will also have an influence on the mechanisms behind Operations here at Luno, adding immense value to Luno's mission of putting the power of crypto in everyone’s hands, and making Luno the most trusted crypto company on the planet.
Your mission will involve:
- To set direction and strategy for our growing, global operations
- Manage and scale the team of driven and high performing individuals
- Make a lasting impact on millions of our customers
- You’ll have responsibility for implementing and managing the global financial crime strategy.
- You’ll be expected to direct the continuous development and monitoring of financial crime prevention capabilities.
- You’ll leverage machine learning technology to scale the capacity and capability of the team.
- Constantly improve the performance of the financial crime prevention system by working closely with our risk/ compliance and analytics team to revamp our fraud models
- Collaborate with the operations, product, and technology teams to enhance our solution within a customer-focused world
- Oversee market analysis and detailed investigations on high-risk accounts or transactions
- You will be required to define and analyse data trends, key metrics, and financial risk patterns, in order to continually improve our financial crime defences, while minimising the friction on good customers
- Hire, mentor and scale a team of talented Managers, Analysts and Investigators to develop their technical skills and contribute to a high-quality and high performing team
- Present detailed reports to Senior Leadership Team as required
- Represent Luno at the industry forums and conferences
- As the role leads the Global FinCrime team some travel to local offices may be required
A little about you:
- Be able to demonstrable experience in a Financial Crime based role within the FinTech / Payments industry, other commercial environments may be considered
- Experience in a strong product orientated environment, familiar with collaborating with Engineering and Product teams.
- Demonstrable experience managing multi-disciplined teams within a financial crime function.
- Expert domain knowledge across Financial crime obligations and strong compliance knowledge including AML/CTF and KYC
- Comfortable implementing machine learning technology to leverage the use of technology to scale teams and intelligence tools
- Knowledge of various risk types including money laundering as well as sanctions, terrorism financing, proliferation financing and fraud
- A relevant Bachelor's degree and CAMS certification is advantageous
- Strong desire to learn new information and techniques in a constantly evolving field
- Attention to detail, a strong sense of responsibility and a very high level of integrity
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills
We would love for you to have (although not essential):
- Familiarity with Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies will be highly advantageous
Life at Luno:
- Forward-thinking and ambitious team that values diversity, hard work, and the continuous quest for excellence.
- Remote but reachable work policy gives you the freedom to choose between working from home or the office.
- Improve body and mind, with excellent private medical insurance.
- Free training courses on Udemy and CodeAcademy.
- Generous maternity / paternity and even paw-ternity for your furry friend.
- Annual Inspiration Day.
- A collaborative, friendly work community, with regular social events and virtual cooking, dancing, drawing and house planting classes hosted by our Lunauts.
- Free lunch and snacks.
- Free access to Headspace – a full library of guided meditations, sleep stories, and music.
- 0 fees with Luno from the day you start.*Offer only available on Luno Instant Buy, not Luno Exchange
Luno makes it simple to buy, store and explore crypto. More than 11 million people have chosen to invest in crypto with Luno using our platform, which is available on Apple, Android and as a desktop experience. We’ve enabled over $52bn of transactions and we securely store over $1bn for our customers around the world.
Our mission is to put the power of crypto in everyone's hands because we believe that giving people access to a robust and fair financial system is a basic human right. We are with customers at every step of their investment journey with clear, jargon-free information and an easy-to-use app experience that helps people get started from as little as $10.
In order to make crypto accessible to everyone, everywhere, we’re on the ground in more than 40 markets across North America, Africa, Asia and Europe. We are registered with all local financial intelligence authorities and proud of our strong Anti Money Laundering measures and world-leading compliance teams. All the crypto we store for our customers is regularly verified by independent auditors. Luno is the trusted guide that will bring crypto to over 1 billion people by 2030.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not negatively discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.