What is BlockFi?
BlockFi’s mission is to provide liquidity, transparency and efficiency to digital financial markets by creating products that meet the needs of consumers and corporations across the globe. We build bridges between traditional finance and digital markets that enable growth for all participants.
We’re a team of builders and strivers, proud to champion financial inclusivity and offer economic opportunities around the globe. We provide the same inclusivity to our team members. BlockFi is a place where diversity is celebrated, individuality is recognized, and every single team member is valued. We are changing the status quo to be the first financial company that people love, and we rely on our people to make it happen!
BlockFi is looking for an External Reporting Manager to join our growing team!
About Your Team
You’ll be working in the Accounting and Finance team in New York. Our business is dynamic and growing in terms of size and complexity, thus we are looking for a proactive, dynamic, innovative and motivated individual to join the team and to quickly take on the below responsibilities.
To add maximum value, the role will also require an understanding of and contribution to the other functions of the wider Accounting and Finance team. In addition to the Accounting team, you’ll interact with other internal clients including Risk, Compliance, Legal, Operations and Senior Management. Your primary responsibilities will be:
- Develop, drive, and manage processes for external financial and regulatory reporting
- Prepare and deliver accurate and complete external financial reporting in accordance with US GAAP, mainly comprised of financial statements and the accompanying disclosures
- Prepare regulatory reports in compliance with the respective state’s reporting requirements; ensure timely submission by the required deadline in coordination with the Compliance team
- Work closely with stakeholders to identify key data elements establish processes for external reporting to ensure data integrity for external financial and regulatory reporting
- Own and be responsible for the financial and regulatory reporting to external stakeholders in response to examination requests or various ad hoc requests
- Liaise with the various regulatory bodies and other industry leaders to interpret and implement financial and regulatory policies globally
- Research and document the detailed quarter-end and annual business analysis for financial and regulatory reporting. Identify the key reporting risks and manage resolution or escalate accordingly
- Be a valued partner to the Accounting team and develop an in-depth understanding of various local markets GAAP, revenue recognition criteria and regulatory requirements
- Ensure a robust set of controls is operating properly through effective supervision, challenge and impact assessment
- Strong communication skills and be able to clearly articulate matters and report with several stakeholders, including the business, external auditors, etc., on financial results
- Understand front to back flows and the ability to partner with other functions to address inefficiencies
- Work with other functions to deliver process improvement in line with our strategic programs of work
- Possess a strong risk mind-set to challenge and influence the effectiveness of upstream controls to further strengthen the front to back control environment
- Act as the subject matter expert and keep abreast of all new and existing accounting pronouncements and regulatory requirements
- Bachelor's degree in finance or accounting, with a strong understanding of accounting principles and capital markets
- 8+ years of prior experience in the Financial Services industry, specifically dealing with complex global subsidiary structures
- 8+ years prior experience regulatory reporting for a top-tier Financial Services company
- 8+ years prior experience preparing financial statements and the accompanying footnote disclosures
- CPA or equivalent
- Understanding of both IFRS and US GAAP
- Experience working in an ERP system / environment
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills a must
- Knowledge of cryptocurrency markets is an advantage but not required
- A strong communicator, comfortable interacting with colleagues at all levels with an ability to influence & constructively challenge traders
- Capable of running with projects and leading a team
- Fast learner and team player
We benefit from the great work our employees do each day. That is why we are committed to providing a variety of awesome benefits to help them live their best lives.
- Competitive salary because we value your experience and expertise
- Unlimited vacation / sick days because everyone deserves time for R&R
- Employer contribution towards health coverage (including vision & dental) because your physical health and well-being is important to us
- Various fringe benefits such as 401k, Parental Leave, FSA/HSA, and Employee Assistance Programs because health coverage is more than just choosing your yearly plan
- Flexible work environment because we are a geographically dispersed team and we believe in balance
- Pet insurance because all of your beloved family members should have coverage too
- Weekly lunch stipend because there is such a thing as a free lunch!
- A close-knit team of enthusiastic, collegial and driven people to work alongside in a highly meritocratic environment because teamwork makes the dreamwork
BlockFi has experienced incredible growth since our launch in August 2017. Our client base has grown to more than 225,000 (and counting), and the company now boasts more than $15 billion in assets on our platform. We recently completed a Series D funding round placing the company's valuation at $3 billion, and our team now has more than 500 people worldwide. We have established ourselves as a crypto market leader, and as we expand our product suite and geographic footprint, we expect our addressable market to grow exponentially.
BlockFi's leadership team has decades of experience in the traditional financial services and banking world, and we take a conservative approach to regulation that will position us well for sustainable long-term growth and expansion.
Our team is comprised of highly motivated professionals from diverse backgrounds. We are aiming to become the leading lender in crypto and are poised to redefine the global financial ecosystem for the better. In addition:
- BlockFi is one of the first companies to ever offer crypto-backed loans and the only company whose founding team has an institutional understanding of the debt capital markets and regulatory landscape in the U.S.
- $100 MM of Series A, B, and C funding led by Valar Ventures with participation from Susquehanna, Winklevoss Capital, Fidelity, Galaxy Digital, Akuna Capital, and Morgan Creek
- $350 MM of Series D funding led by Bain Capital Ventures, partners of DST Global, Pomp Investments and Tiger Global
- We are moving quickly and have already deployed substantial capital into the space, proving our ability to execute and capture customer demand