The 100x Group Trading Technology department sits at the core of the business and handles all brokerage and trading aspects of the BitMEX platform. The team is responsible for order management, risk checking, position keeping, PNL calculations, pricing (derivatives), risk management, market data distribution, order matching, and settlement.
The Links and Feeds team is responsible for all real time data feeds downstream of the trading engine services, and upstream of the API services. The BitMEX trading engine produces a high volume firehose of market data with thousands of messages per second. The Links and Feeds team develops and maintains the low latency software services responsible for consuming and distributing that data to clients subscribed via the Websocket API.
As Team Lead, you are responsible for this function.
- Line management, technical leadership and mentorship of a small team of engineers (1-2) in Links and Feeds
- Design, develop, and support new and existing Links and Feeds software services including building out a next generation binary feeds platform
- Work closely with the Engine Development team and Trading Data Services team on the firm’s data distribution architecture
- Work closely with the Trading Analytics team to understand how clients use the Websocket API to inform design decisions. In particular microburst behaviour, usage patterns, invalid requests, and rate limit usage.
- Ensure that all parts of the Links and Feeds architecture are running correctly, with appropriate monitoring and testing in place to identify any potential issues
- Identify and implement performance improvements to the Links and Feeds architecture
- As a Senior Software Engineer within Trading Technology, contribute to department-wide engineering and architectural design initiatives for the Trading Platform
You follow good principles of software engineering like TDD, writing modular, maintainable, clean code, and are used to working in an Agile environment.
- Strong engineering skill set with firm grasp of fundamental Computer Science principles and a test-driven approach to software development
- 7+ years programming experience writing high throughput Market Data distribution services, ideally in FX, Equities or Derivatives markets in Java or another OO language
- 5+ years financial experience at a Hedge Fund, Investment Bank, or Exchange building market data systems
- Strong knowledge in and experience with financial services protocols including FIX, OUCH, ITCH, SBE, Protobuf or similar
- Expert in Networking with experience utilising low latency messaging frameworks like Ultra Messaging, Aeron, Chronicle Queue
- Expert in writing latency sensitive Java services, with experience working with libraries like LMAX Disruptor
- Experience managing a small team of engineers, and leading multiple concurrent projects
- Experience managing stakeholder relationships including managing a book of work
- Experience working in and performance tuning a Linux environment
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities within a fast moving industry and startup culture
- Preferable: experience building microservice architecture systems, test automation, BDD, scaling, and performance tuning
- Computer Science / Engineering / Mathematics degree preferable