Wintermute is a hyper-growth fintech startup and one of the largest players in the global digital asset markets. We provide liquidity algorithmically across most cryptocurrency exchanges and trading platforms, as well as support high profile blockchain projects and traditional financial institutions moving into crypto.
Culturally, we combine the best traits of both trading companies and technology startups. As a trading company, we manage hundreds of millions in assets, trade more than $5B+/day across dozens of trading platforms and are highly profitable in doing so. As a technology startup, we build, innovate and move incredibly fast, we create best-in-class liquidity products that create more efficient markets. We believe that traditional finance has to change and we are on a mission to define and build the decentralized future of finance.
Wintermute is a hyper-growth highly profitable proprietary trading business. We are backed by top tier global venture capital investors such as Lightspeed, Pantera Capital, Sino Global Capital, Blockchain.com Ventures, Avon Ventures by Fidelity Investments, DeFi Alliance and others. Learn more about our team and culture on our website and Evgeny’s post here.
Working at Wintermute
We are looking for the Head of Business Development & Partnerships Asia who will bring our Asia business to completely new heights. We are looking for someone who knows the Asian crypto market and is excited to make a big impact for Wintermute in Asia (China and beyond).
You will be responsible for building new as well as growing Wintermute's existing business in Asia. You will own opportunities in the region from end to end and develop your own strategic growth plan, while also getting advice and guidance from the Management Team. We have the best liquidity products in the market, we work with many of the most prominent blockchain projects, we have many strategic growth opportunities in the pipeline, and a long line of counterparties wanting to develop relationships with us. We have no legacy processes, no corporate bureaucracy, no multiple levels of approvals, yet the highest standards of professionalism.
What will you work on
As we are a hyper-growth startup in one of the most dynamic industries, we are constantly changing and so do the roles of everyone in the company. Your role will be truly varied and will include some of the core ownership areas, as well as various projects based on both your talents/preferences and business needs of the company. There is a lot of room to shape and expand this role - there is no limit set by the company! Some representative responsibilities and projects are described below.
- Grow the OTC business in Asia (both manual and RFQ) - this includes developing and executing your own growth plan which will have many of angles to it: acquiring new counterparties, developing existing relationships, cooperating with developer teams on productizing the solution and execution of trades
- Grow the crypto project market making business - deepen relationships with existing crypto projects and acquire new ones
- Develop new relationships with high-profile crypto projects, crypto VCs, institutional investors, miners and other parties of the crypto eco-system; note that we are connected to many of these parties or can get introduced, so this is all about systematically developing the relationships and bringing them to the next level
- Work with various cross-functional teams to drive brand awareness in the key markets in Asia (China, S. Korea, Japan)
- Develop existing relationships with exchanges globally and bring them to the next level
- Keep track of key launches and news in the crypto eco-system and proactively identify cooperation and business development opportunities
- Coach future local Business Development Manager(s) who will be responsible for either specific markets or specific products in the Asia region
Hard Skills Requirements
- BSc/MSc in Business/Economics/Finance or any related degree
- Top tier MBA is preferred (or other proven ability to see the bigger picture, understand new functional areas quickly, having a cross-functional mindset)
- Professional-level Mandarin is strongly preferred, but isn’t a requirement; fluent English; other Asian languages would be a plus
- Deep understanding of both Asian and Western mindsets and ways of doing business
- 2-5 years of experience with Asian crypto markets
- Experience in business development or any client-facing role (B2B sales, management consulting, investment banking, etc.)
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written - this is not about pitching, but being convincing, concise, precise, a good listener; being clear on next steps and always following up on promises
- Experience delivering business results - be ready to talk about numbers/quota achievement, etc.
- Experience in BD or similar role facing institutional crypto, institutional traditional finance, blockchain projects is a significant advantage
- At least one of - trading knowledge or crypto knowledge - is a strong advantage; willingness, aptitude and curiosity to understand the fundamentals of blockchain technologies, algorithmic trading and market making is crucial
- Have an owner mentality: you focus on the ultimate result for the company (short and long-term growth)
- Able to understand the bigger picture and be very hands-on and practical
- Love problem solving, and love seeing the tangible results of you work
- Determined, ambitious yet humble, willing to work hard, take feedback and learn on the way
- Like meritocracy and being judged by what you deliver
- Have an entrepreneurial mindset versus working 9-to-5 mentality; prepared to work non-standard working hours (since we are a high-growth startup operating in 24/7 crypto world)
- Like working in the team collaborative environment (not fully remote), at least half-time working from our office
- A unique opportunity to work on very interesting projects, get the level of responsibility and ownership that would take 5-10 years longer to get in a traditional trading company/bank/hedge fund
- A unique opportunity to join a high growth startup and one of the strongest and highest potential crypto startups globally
- Great culture: highly professional and ambitious, yet informal, friendly, non-hierarchical, collaborative and entrepreneurial
- A cool office in central London with a sci-fi touch (Singapore office is in the works)
- Weekly team events, such as team lunches, team dinners, team board games and Dota playing sessions; these are not obligatory in any sense, but this is what we like to do
- Aligned incentive structure: on top of competitive fixed compensation you get significant performance-based variable pay
Tips for Successful Application
- Only apply to us if you are genuinely interested or curious about this role and this space; this is not for someone who is just looking for "a job" or pursues purely mercenary objectives
- Do your research: look at our website and social media channels
- Write us a short, honest, and direct message if you'd like to apply. Tell us about why you are interested in Wintermute generally and your specific role in particular
- Do not send us generic copy paste applications, we are looking for authentic people who share our interests, values and ambitions. If you don't have some obviously matching experience or skills, make sure you state very clearly what you can bring or how your experience is relevant/transferable • Prepare to be tested on our hard skills requirements
- Prepare to demonstrate “Other requirements”
- Do your basic homework on crypto markets and what hft/market making/algo trading is
- We get a lot of applications, so unfortunately, we won't be able to proceed if you simply press "submit button"; we do promise to reply to everyone who puts time and effort into making the application relevant!