Wintermute is a hyper-growth fintech startup and one of the largest players in the global digital asset markets. We provide liquidity algorithmically across most cryptocurrency exchanges and trading platforms, as well as support high profile blockchain projects and traditional financial institutions moving into crypto.
Culturally, we combine the best traits of both trading companies and technology startups. As a trading company, we manage hundreds of millions in assets, trade more than $5B+/day across dozens of trading platforms and are highly profitable in doing so. As a technology startup, we build, innovate and move incredibly fast, we create best-in-class liquidity products that create more efficient markets. We believe that traditional finance has to change and we are on a mission to define and build the decentralized future of finance.
Wintermute is a hyper-growth highly profitable proprietary trading business. We are backed by top tier global venture capital investors such as Lightspeed, Pantera Capital, Sino Global Capital, Blockchain.com Ventures, Avon Ventures by Fidelity Investments, DeFi Alliance and others. Learn more about our team and culture on our website and Evgeny’s post here.
Working at Wintermute
We are looking for the Head of Business Operations for our Singapore office who will help to scale our Asia business to completely new heights. We are looking for a determined professional with a cross-functional business skillset and drive to get things done.
You will be responsible for setting up and scaling all major business aspects of the Singapore office. You will start with a small office of 2-3 people and will scale it to up to 10 people and 100x of revenue by the end of the year. We have a clear roadmap for Singapore business, many processes that can be taken over from the UK headquarters, a long line of local counterparties interested in doing business with us, as well as top talent (from London and locally) willing to join the Singapore team. We need an operations leader locally who is able to quickly and reliably act on all of these opportunities, set up related processes and scale operations. You will be part of the core Singapore team reporting directly to the Singapore Board of Directors (who are currently based in London).
What will you work on
As we are a hyper-growth startup in one of the most dynamic industries, we are constantly changing and so do the roles of everyone in the company. Your role will be truly varied but the fundamental umbrella is doing whatever it takes to build and scale operations of the Singapore hub. There is a lot of room to shape and expand this role - there is no limit set by the company!
Some key responsibilities and projects are described below.
- Build functional teams: help build local functional teams across finance/accounting, trading/middle office operations, business development
- Work with external advisors: work with external legal, tax, compliance and secretarial service advisers to solve or optimize a wide range of processes
- Set up trading operations: set up local banking and financial operations, work closely with local and UK trading teams to identify and implement necessary processes
- Drive recruitment efforts: drive all local recruitment efforts in Singapore while working closely with the UK recruitment and operations team
- Develop presence in key Asian markets: identify opportunities for developing presence in key markets in Asia and set up relevant representation (e.g. local BD) as well as go-to-market strategies (e.g. work with local marketing agencies)
- Office operations: find and set up an office space that reflects Wintermute’s needs and values and can be effectively managed
- Participate in cross-functional projects: work with London-based Strategy & Operations team on key strategic and operations initiatives across a wide range of functional areas (finance, corporate structuring, business development, process automations, etc.)
Hard Skills Requirements
- At least 5 years experience in a high-performance environment, such as management consulting, investment banking, PE, VC-backed startup, law firm, etc.
- BSc/MSc in Business/Economics/Finance or any related degree
- Top tier MBA is preferred (or other proven ability to see the bigger picture, understand new functional areas quickly, having a cross-functional mindset)
- Fluent English; other main Asian languages would be a plus
- Deep understanding of both Asian and Western mindsets and ways of doing business
- Excellent organizational skills - you are known for getting things done, making sure nothing falls between the cracks and hitting the deadlines; very hands-on, proactive and practical
- Strong communication skills - be able to communicate clearly, concisely and listen well
- Ability and interest to learn about new technologies fast, both on conceptual (e.g. how DeFi protocols work) and hands-on (how to use automation tools) levels
- Have an owner mentality: you focus on the ultimate result for the company (short and long-term growth)
- Able to understand the bigger picture and be very hands-on and practical
- Love problem solving, and love seeing the tangible results of you work
- Determined, ambitious yet humble, willing to work hard, take feedback and learn on the way
- Like meritocracy and being judged by what you deliver
- Have an entrepreneurial mindset versus working 9-to-5 mentality; prepared to work non-standard working hours (since we are a high-growth startup operating in 24/7 crypto world)
- Like working in the team collaborative environment (not fully remote), at least half-time working from our office
- A unique opportunity to work on very interesting projects, get the level of responsibility and ownership that would take 5-10 years longer to get in a traditional trading company/bank/hedge fund
- A unique opportunity to join a high growth startup and one of the strongest and highest potential crypto startups globally
- Great culture: highly professional and ambitious, yet informal, friendly, non-hierarchical, collaborative and entrepreneurial
- A cool office in central London with a sci-fi touch (Singapore office is in the works)
- Weekly team events, such as team lunches, team dinners, team board games and Dota playing sessions; these are not obligatory in any sense, but this is what we like to do
- Aligned incentive structure: on top of competitive fixed compensation you get significant performance-based variable pay
Tips for Successful Application
- Only apply to us if you are genuinely interested or curious about this role and this space; this is not for someone who is just looking for "a job" or pursues purely mercenary objectives
- Do your research: look at our website and social media channels
- Write us a short, honest, and direct message if you'd like to apply. Tell us about why you are interested in Wintermute generally and your specific role in particular
- Do not send us generic copy paste applications, we are looking for authentic people who share our interests, values and ambitions. If you don't have some obviously matching experience or skills, make sure you state very clearly what you can bring or how your experience is relevant/transferable
- Prepare to be tested on our hard skills requirements
- Prepare to demonstrate “Other requirements”
- Do your basic homework on crypto markets and what hft/market making/algo trading is
- We get a lot of applications, so unfortunately, we won't be able to proceed if you simply press "submit button"; we do promise to reply to everyone who puts time and effort into making the application relevant!