As one of the largest and most trusted digital asset platforms globally, we are empowering people to experience the life-changing potential of crypto. Trusted by over 8 million consumer and pro traders, institutions, and authorities worldwide - our unique combination of products, services, and global expertise is helping tip the scales towards mass crypto adoption. But we’re only just getting started. We want to be pioneers in crypto and add value to the everyday lives of billions. Now is not the time to sit on the sidelines. Join us to bring crypto to the world.
By joining Kraken, you’ll work on the bleeding edge of bitcoin and other digital currencies, and play an important role in helping shape the future of how the world sees and uses money. At Kraken, we constantly push ourselves to think differently and forge new paths in a rapidly growing industry fraught with unexplored territory, which is why Kraken has grown to be among the largest and most successful bitcoin exchanges in the world. If you’re truly interested in pushing the envelope by disrupting an industry that some say cannot be disrupted, then we just might have the job meant for you. Kraken is a place for dreamers and doers - to succeed here, we firmly believe you must possess each in spades. Check out all of our job postings here https://jobs.lever.co/kraken
About the role
This role is based in Australia. As the designated Compliance Officer, you will have responsibility for the regulatory compliance of Kraken with all applicable requirements under AU law. You will serve a lead role in a cross-functional team that ensures Kraken remains at all times in good regulatory standing in the AU.
The ideal candidate should have experience working in a fintech or exchange trading environment, with a deep understanding of requirements applicable to Kraken’s activity under the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC)and AML/CTF regulations relevant to crypto asset activities in the AU.
This role is based in Australia reporting to the Managing Director, Australia
- Act as a day-to-day contact for regulatory compliance matters for relevant AU operations
- Be responsible for the ongoing compliance of the firm with all applicable regulatory requirements
- Work closely with Kraken’s AU Executive Leadership to ensure operational compliance requirements across the region are implemented.
- Provide compliance expertise to Kraken’s AU Executive Leadership in relation to operational risks (including technology security risk, operational resilience and business continuity), conduct risks and prudential risks in order to build an effective compliance risk monitoring programme.
- Monitor internal and external business, regulatory and technology environments to identify new or emerging compliance risks and verify remediation of issues as applicable.
- Be responsible for the submission or, in some instances, the oversight of any relevant compliance regulatory reports, STRs/SARs, and other filings to be submitted to relevant regulatory authorities.
- Develop and oversee the Compliance Monitoring Programme, and maintain compliance policies and procedures.
- Assess and oversee the implementation of new regulatory compliance requirements as they arise, assist with regulatory horizon scanning, and advise executive management accordingly.
- Coordinate and liaise with Kraken Global Compliance to ensure alignment between global, regional and local compliance policies, procedures, and operations.
- Support regional product development by advising on the compliance impact and requirements associated with localised product launches..
- Support regional marketing and brand development efforts by advising on the compliance impact and requirements associated with business and brand development, and advertising under applicable AU regulations.
- Build and manage a local compliance operations function as required to support operations under future regulatory registrations or licenses.
- J.D., L.L.M. or other advanced degree is preferred.
- Advanced professional certifications such as "CAMS", "CFE", etc. are preferred.
- Demonstrable prior experience in relation to the regulation of crypto asset services in the AU.
- 8+ years in a previous regulatory or compliance position at a fintech or financial firm, or regulatory institution.
- Eligibility to be accepted for any necessary approvals under the ASIC ‘Approved Persons’ and AUSTRACs Key Persons regimes for the relevant AU entities in scope, as applicable.
- Previous experience in filing regulatory reports and providing compliance oversight.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the AU crypto asset regulatory environment, developments, and relevant registration and licensing requirements for crypto and adjacent financial services.
- Familiarity with anti-money laundering and know-your-customer best practices within AU regulations.
- Experience developing policies and procedures that ensure hyper-growth innovation is advanced compliantly.
We’re powered by people from around the world with their own unique and diverse experiences. We value all Krakenites and their talents, contributions, and perspectives, regardless of their background.
As an equal opportunity employer we don’t tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind. Whether that’s based on race, ethnicity, age, gender identity, citizenship, religion, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state or local laws.