At Matter Labs, we are building zkSync: a blockchain scaling solution secured purely by cutting-edge cryptography. Our mission is to scale Ethereum to billions of users, fully preserving its most valuable properties — permissionlessness, trustlessness, and resilience, — in order to protect and enhance global economic freedom.
We hold a strong opinion that zero-knowledge proofs (ZKP) are the only technology today that can achieve this goal. We are also proud to be the pioneer of the ZKP tech on Ethereum, and one of the few companies in the world with strong expertise in this field. Our contributions over the last 3 years include the first ZK rollup ever built, the first implementation of recursive ZK proofs on Ethereum, and the world’s first practical FPGA-based ZKP accelerator. Most recently, we launched a zkEVM testnet, making zkSync the first ZK rollup capable of executing native Ethereum smart contracts.
Across all hires we make at Matter Labs, regardless of role or team, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we value freedom, ownership mindset, and meritocracy.
We are looking for a Senior DevOps Engineer/SRE to help improve the reliability, consistency, security, and performance of the zkSync infrastructure and apps. The role is instrumental in scaling and decentralizing zkSync as we will soon start working with external validators and guardians.
The ideal candidate will need to have a deep understanding of Kubernetes and experience operating services at scale. Some development experience is also desired in order to contribute to internal tools and help the rest of the engineering team develop, deploy and operate their services successfully.
- Working as both an individual contributor and collaboratively to find new ways of improving the reliability, consistency, security, and performance of infrastructure and services
- Build tools to support the operation, automation, and monitoring of high load apps
- Write a framework and guidelines so external validators & guardians can get set up quickly and easily, and keep operating reliably
- Draw on your knowledge of distributed systems to identify and fix the network, system, and service-level issues
- Eliminate the manual TOIL that emerges with large, distributed systems. Identify it, own it, automate it (where possible). Infra and services should ideally automatically heal or failover.
- Work with engineering teams in designing and developing systems that are resilient, secure, and highly performant
- You are driven by passion, curiosity, and desire to make a meaningful contribution to the world
- Senior-level experience in Software Engineering, Site Reliability Engineering, or a dev-focused DevOps role
- Expert level scripting/coding skills in one or more languages (Rust/Python/Golang)
- Experience with configuration management tools (Terraform/Helm/Kapitan/Ansible/Puppet)
- Experience with observability systems (Prometheus/Grafana/ELK/Jaeger)
- Deep knowledge of Kubernetes, Linux, and GCP/AWS
- Strong analytical and logical skills
- Strong security mindset
- Experience with high-load projects is a big plus
- Ownership mindset and a track record of successfully accomplished projects
- Ability to simply articulate the "why" behind best practices and to build positive and collaborative relationships with colleagues across teams and geographies
You will work on a deeply mission-driven project, making a significant contribution to the greater economic and political freedom globally. All of our code is open source.
We are a fast growing startup in the world’s fastest growing industry. We offer highly competitive cash and equity compensation.
We respect every team member as an individual. We encourage healthy work/life balance without excessive overtime. We will provide you with anything we can to help you grow professionally, be productive and happy.
We are a remote-first, results-only organisation. Most of the team is based in Europe, and we currently only consider candidates located between (UTC-3) and (UTC+3). You are expected to adjust your schedule, work and communication methods to such an environment.
zkSync is a ZK rollup, a Layer-2 scaling solution that preserves the security properties of the underlying blockchain by leveraging the latest generation of succinct zero-knowledge proofs.
About Matter Labs
Matter Labs is the pioneer of zero-knowledge proof tech on Ethereum. The company has launched the first-ever public ZK rollup prototype in early 2019, was the first to implement recursive ZK proofs on Ethereum, and created the world’s first practical FPGA-based hardware for ZKP acceleration in 2020. Matter Labs recently launched a zkEVM testnet, making zkSync the first ZK rollup capable of executing native Ethereum smart contracts.
Matter Labs’ team is rooted in the belief that cryptography and blockchain are essential technologies for protecting and fostering freedom globally. They enable mutually distrusting counterparts to collaborate without relying on authorities or third parties. Blockchains enabled by zero-knowledge proofs promise a fairer and more efficient global digital economy.
- Project homepage: https://zksync.io
- Our mission, values, and culture
- How and why we work on zkSync: Matter Labs Team Handbook
- Matter Labs Engineering Handbook
- About zero-knowledge proofs: https://github.com/matter-labs/awesome-zero-knowledge-proofs