What is BlockFi?
BlockFi’s mission is to provide liquidity, transparency and efficiency to digital financial markets by creating products that meet the needs of consumers and corporations across the globe. We build bridges between traditional finance and digital markets that enable growth for all participants.
We’re a team of builders and strivers, proud to champion financial inclusivity and offer economic opportunities around the globe. We provide the same inclusivity to our team members. BlockFi is a place where diversity is celebrated, individuality is recognized, and every single team member is valued. We are changing the status quo to be the first financial company that people love, and we rely on our people to make it happen!
BlockFi is looking for a Director of Data Engineering to join our growing team!
About the Team
The Data Platforms organization is responsible for the end-to-end data needs of BlockFi products and services, composed of following teams: Data Engineering, Data Strategy, Master Data Management, & Machine Learning Eng. The Director of Data Engineering will be the global leader of the Enterprise Data Engineering organization serving all of BlockFi data needs. The Data Engineering Team designs, builds and supports data platforms, products, pipelines, governance frameworks that powers analytics, business insights, data science and machine learning. We aim to make data a competitive advantage for BlockFi by empowering our business partners with industry-leading insights and tools so that they can make fast, bold decisions with trusted data to create unsurpassed client experiences and grow our market share. We enable automation at scale that helps reduce risk, improves speed and eliminates manual processes.
As a Director of Data Engineering, you own the technical build of the Data Platform across BlockFi. In that leadership capacity, you are responsible for staffing, goal setting / assessment, developing your managers and engineers, organizational culture, and execution on strategic initiatives. Beyond people management responsibilities, you are a thought leader within Data Engineering and collaborate with partners, such as business stakeholders, business intelligence, analytics and product, to set strategic vision. You will oversee the design and implement technical solutions, and mentor junior engineers. You are a subject matter expert on both the relevant data domain and the associated technical components of the data platform. You are able to tailor your communications to your audience whether collaborating with business partners or participating with architecture in a design review. In addition to your strategic capabilities, you are relied on to respond to tactical issues by being the technical backstop for your teams, guiding the teams and leveraging your extended network of relationships across the company to drive resolutions.
- Engineering And Organizational Excellence
- Responsible for building an organizational culture that values accountability, ownership, innovation, honesty, and continuous improvement.
- Responsible for establishing and maturing Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) processes that are consistent across the organization.
- Influential beyond the technology organization. You have a deep network of cross functional peers who value your perspective.
- Leadership And People Management
- Responsible for developing and growing the leadership and engineering talent of the organization.
- Recognized as a champion of BlockFi values: Client Not Customers, Pragmatic Pioneering, Transparency Builds Trust, and Individual Effort / Collective Success.
- Responsible for people management duties across engineering teams including: team staffing, career development of individuals, retention and performance management.
- Strategic Planning
- Responsible for establishing and measuring metrics that track the performance of teams and the organization.
- Stakeholder management: collaborates with Product, and Architecture to establish roadmaps for the BlockFi stack.
- Responsible for the vision for your systems and thought leadership across technology and financial services.
- Should proactively research and understand industry trends.
- Technical Ownership
- Accountable for the quality of your data platforms (availability, reliability, resilience, security, etc.) and adherence to consistent standards for engineering excellence.
- Understand and drive the architecture of your systems. Clearly communicate quality attributes and risks for that area to multiple audiences.
- Guide managers, technical leaders, and senior data engineers in carefully considering business goals, trade-offs, quality attributes, cross-cutting concerns, and risks prior to committing to design decisions.
- Technical Breadth as well as Depth in Several Areas: 10+ years of industry experience working with, designing, and building data platforms at scale. Experience with cloud based data platforms and in financial services is a plus.
- People Management: 10+ years of experience leading a combination of individual contributors, ranging from entry level to principal data engineers, and managers ranging from data eng managers to experienced senior leaders.
- Technical Ownership: Experience owning data platforms end-to-end, designing, estimating, implementing, testing, maintaining, debugging, and supporting high-quality software in production.
- Communication: Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills. Effectively explains technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders and business concepts to technical stakeholders. Proactively identifies and addresses information silos.
- Collaboration: Demonstrable track record of building strong cross-functional relationships and integrating a variety of perspectives. Empathetic and does the legwork required for building consensus. Always seeks out feedback on technical designs, solutions, and strategies.
We benefit from the great work our employees do each day. That is why we are committed to providing a variety of awesome benefits to help them live their best lives.
- Competitive salary because we value your experience and expertise
- Unlimited vacation / sick days because everyone deserves time for R&R
- Employer contribution towards health coverage (including vision & dental) because your physical health and well-being is important to us
- Various fringe benefits such as 401k, Parental Leave, FSA/HSA, and Employee Assistance Programs because health coverage is more than just choosing your yearly plan
- Flexible work environment because we are a geographically dispersed team and we believe in balance
- Pet insurance because all of your beloved family members should have coverage too
- A close-knit team of enthusiastic, collegial and driven people to work alongside in a highly meritocratic environment because teamwork makes the dreamwork
BlockFi has experienced incredible growth since our launch in August 2017. Our client base has grown to more than 225,000 (and counting), and the company now boasts more than $15 billion in assets on our platform. We recently completed a Series D funding round placing the company's valuation at $3 billion, and our team now has more than 500 people worldwide. We have established ourselves as a crypto market leader, and as we expand our product suite and geographic footprint, we expect our addressable market to grow exponentially.
BlockFi's leadership team has decades of experience in the traditional financial services and banking world, and we take a conservative approach to regulation that will position us well for sustainable long-term growth and expansion.
Our team is comprised of highly motivated professionals from diverse backgrounds. We are aiming to become the leading lender in crypto and are poised to redefine the global financial ecosystem for the better. In addition:
- BlockFi is one of the first companies to ever offer crypto-backed loans and the only company whose founding team has an institutional understanding of the debt capital markets and regulatory landscape in the U.S.
- $100 MM of Series A, B, and C funding led by Valar Ventures with participation from Susquehanna, Winklevoss Capital, Fidelity, Galaxy Digital, Akuna Capital, and Morgan Creek
- $350 MM of Series D funding led by Bain Capital Ventures, partners of DST Global, Pomp Investments and Tiger Global
- We are moving quickly and have already deployed substantial capital into the space, proving our ability to execute and capture customer demand