What is BlockFi?
BlockFi’s mission is to provide liquidity, transparency and efficiency to digital financial markets by creating products that meet the needs of consumers and corporations across the globe. We build bridges between traditional finance and digital markets that enable growth for all participants.
We’re a team of builders and strivers, proud to champion financial inclusivity and offer economic opportunities around the globe. We provide the same inclusivity to our team members. BlockFi is a place where diversity is celebrated, individuality is recognized, and every single team member is valued. We are changing the status quo to be the first financial company that people love, and we rely on our people to make it happen!
BlockFi is looking for a Senior Staff Software Engineer to join our Mobile Platform team!
About Your Team
The Application Enablement team is the backbone for our web and mobile engineering teams. This organization is the advocate for our web and mobile engineers who are distributed across teams. The objective of the organization is to increase the efficiency of our engineers by standardizing frameworks, writing core components, building libraries used across teams, shepherding patterns, improving build times, deployment systems, cross site performance, and so much more. This team doesn't directly own any customer products, instead is an enabler of other teams that do. This team consists of our most senior engineers whose work is cross cutting across all teams and is often called upon for advice, mentorship, or general support.
As a Senior Staff Engineer, you will act as a technical leader for a group of services in a domain area, shepherding technology in partnership with a Director. Your work will have a direct impact on the success of the company and you’ll be thinking one or two years into the future. We are looking for proactive, collaborative, and adaptive engineers who have real world distributed systems experience at scale.
- Develop strategies, write proposals for new architectures, systems, and processes, and communicate them to diverse stakeholders in terms they can understand.
- Work with diverse stakeholders to ensure our systems are built for quality attributes like availability, reliability, resilience, scalability, performance, and security from the ground up.
- Deeply understand the architecture for a major part of the business, and clearly communicate quality attributes and risks for that area to multiple audiences.
- Mentor teams on design proposals, tradeoff analyses, and design and code review practices. Ensure significant design decisions are publicly documented with tradeoffs clearly described.
- Facilitate cross-team and cross-functional communication to specify the problem domain, business goals, quality attribute requirements, and timelines for committing to architectural decisions.
- Deliver and Own Solutions:
- Enable early and continuous delivery of business value, integrating across technical (development, infrastructure, security, QA, SRE, etc.) and non-technical functions.
- Work with stakeholders to understand and document both functional and quality attribute requirements.
- Identify problems before they happen across systems/domains, and bring together and lead strike teams to accomplish high impact work.
- Build prototypes, simple models, and scaffolding for new technologies.
- Ensure that teams adhere to quality standards through cross-team communication, mentoring, code review, and backlog grooming.
- Accountable for system availability and monitoring system health; ensure alerts, metrics, and runbooks are in place; and debug issues in production.
- Act as a multiplier by developing patterns, systems, standards, and tools that increase productivity across engineering.
- Lead conversations about technical direction across large portions of our technology. Listen and guide debates to help reach consensus across teams; once a decision is made, clearly communicate and support that decision.
- Build relationships across domains and business functions.
- Think one or two years in the future, and develop prototypes to explore solutions to longer-term problems.
- Guide tech leads and team members in carefully considering business goals, trade-offs, quality attributes, cross-cutting concerns, and risks prior to committing to design decisions.
- Continuously improve engineering standards, processes, planning, solutions, and efficiency.
- Quickly learn new tools and technologies, develop an understanding of existing systems, and identify and tackle high impact work.
- Avoid dogmatic positions on technical questions.
- Proactively seek to learn about the company, products, processes, and culture. And align technical decisions with business goals.
- Technical Breadth as well as Depth in Several Areas:
- 8+ years of industry experience working with, designing, and building distributed systems at scale with 5+ years of industry experience working with, designing, and building production Native iOS/Android Applications using Swift/Kotlin
- Extensive experience with modern iOS/Android frameworks, architecture, and building scalable robust applications that feel light and performant.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of the iOS/Android SDK internals and how to optimize for performance and data usage (async operations/thread safety)
- Experienced in building complex, accessible user interfaces that scale and feel light
- You care about creating delightful experiences while understanding industry UI/UX best practices
- Experienced with CI/CD and build/release tooling; Gradle/XCode Cloud, Fastlane, CircleCI, Github Actions)
- Developing and maintaining unit and UI tests is important to you
- Able to clearly identify, communicate, and document technical tradeoffs, and guides others to do the same. As a bonus, mentoring, sharing knowledge and technical presentations are exciting to you
- Deep expertise across the technology stack from network to database to application.
- Technical Ownership: Experience owning software systems end-to-end, designing, estimating, implementing, testing, maintaining, debugging, and supporting high-quality software in production.
- Communication: Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills. Able to listen and learn from as well as explain complex ideas to stakeholders of varying levels of technical expertise.
- Collaboration: Demonstrable experience with establishing strong relationships with technical and nontechnical stakeholders, integrating a variety of perspectives (end users, product, engineering, etc.). Empathetic and does the legwork required for building consensus. Always seeks out feedback on technical designs and solutions.
- Initiative and focus on outcomes: Prepared to take on high impact work across contexts and as the need arises, working independently and taking initiative while maintaining transparency and collaboration. Proactively identifies problems and comes to conversations with possible solutions.
- Pragmatic: Ability and motivation to quickly learn new technologies and systems. Pragmatic bias toward outcomes, and technical decisions that solve real business problems. Not afraid to question assumptions and tackle challenges under conditions of uncertainty.
We benefit from the great work our employees do each day. That is why we are committed to providing a variety of awesome benefits to help them live their best lives.
- Competitive salary because we value your experience and expertise
- Unlimited vacation / sick days because everyone deserves time for R&R
- Employer contribution towards health coverage (including vision & dental) because your physical health and well-being is important to us
- Various fringe benefits such as 401k, Parental Leave, FSA/HSA, and Employee Assistance Programs because health coverage is more than just choosing your yearly plan
- Flexible work environment because we are a geographically dispersed team and we believe in balance
- Pet insurance because all of your beloved family members should have coverage too
- A close-knit team of enthusiastic, collegial and driven people to work alongside in a highly meritocratic environment because teamwork makes the dreamwork
BlockFi has experienced incredible growth since our launch in August 2017. Our client base has grown to more than 225,000 (and counting), and the company now boasts more than $15 billion in assets on our platform. We recently completed a Series D funding round placing the company's valuation at $3 billion, and our team now has more than 500 people worldwide. We have established ourselves as a crypto market leader, and as we expand our product suite and geographic footprint, we expect our addressable market to grow exponentially.
BlockFi's leadership team has decades of experience in the traditional financial services and banking world, and we take a conservative approach to regulation that will position us well for sustainable long-term growth and expansion.
Our team is comprised of highly motivated professionals from diverse backgrounds. We are aiming to become the leading lender in crypto and are poised to redefine the global financial ecosystem for the better. In addition:
- BlockFi is one of the first companies to ever offer crypto-backed loans and the only company whose founding team has an institutional understanding of the debt capital markets and regulatory landscape in the U.S.
- $100 MM of Series A, B, and C funding led by Valar Ventures with participation from Susquehanna, Winklevoss Capital, Fidelity, Galaxy Digital, Akuna Capital, and Morgan Creek
- $350 MM of Series D funding led by Bain Capital Ventures, partners of DST Global, Pomp Investments and Tiger Global
- We are moving quickly and have already deployed substantial capital into the space, proving our ability to execute and capture customer demand